A Beginner’s Guide to Teaching Coding
Sunday, February 23, 2020
3:00 PM EST
About the Virtual Workshop: A Beginner’s Guide to Teaching Coding, K – 12
The future of our world is digital…. as more jobs require coding skills, schools will need to address the increasing demand for coding as a core topic in K-12. It’s a subject students need to know in order to better understand and live in our increasingly tech-focused world. This webinar will serve as an introduction to the subject of coding. Teachers will be able to integrate coding into any of their subjects fostering creativity and enhancing critical thinking skills.
About the Instructor: Korene Stuart
Korene Stuart is from Miami, FL. She was raised by Jamaican immigrants hailing from Kingston and Westmoreland. She has a BS in International Relations from Florida International University. In 2016, she became a self-taught coder and went on to earn certificates in computer programming from Broward College in 2018 and software development from LaunchCode in 2019. She is currently the Technical Lead Instructor for Black Girls Code Miami and serves on the Broward County Schools S.T.E.M Task Force. She is also a public advocate for the fields of S.T.E.M.(Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) and is actively engaged as a public speaker for various organizations and events.
· Class size is limited, access will be granted on a first come first serve basis
· All others will be added to the waiting list
· Register Online: http://jaminarsignup.callingalljamaicans.org/
1. This is a video conference – video is required
2. Plan to join 15 minutes early to ensure you can log in successfully
3. The class will close 5 minutes after the start time
4. An assessment must be completed within 24 hours after the class http://jaminarassessment.callingalljamaicans.org/
A course completion certificate will be issued, within a week after class, to all attendees who fulfill the requirements above.
Ortavia Manning-Dixon M.Ed.
JAMINARS are virtual professional development workshops, delivered by volunteer Instructors in the Diaspora. To volunteer to teach a JAMINAR sign up at the following url: http://jdtanjaminar-instructorsignup.callingalljamaicans.org/