The application period for the 2014 – 2015 academic year is CLOSED. Please check back again in January 2015 when the next application period opens.
Guidelines For Applicants
- Applicants must be Northern California residents of the United States, born in Jamaica or descended from at least one (1) Jamaican parent. Proof of permanent residency or citizenship, and of Northern California residency must accompany application. To qualify as a Northern California resident, applicants must have lived in Northern California for two (2) or more years. Xerox copies of required documents are acceptable.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are members of JAANC or relatives of JAANC members. JAANC Board Members or JAANC members who are related to an applicant shall not participate in the review, evaluation and determination of scholarship awardees during the year that a relative applies. JAANC Board and Council members are not eligible to apply while holding office.
- Applicants must be part-time or full-time students enrolled at an accredited undergraduate school anywhere in the United States with a G.P.A of at least 2.75. Applicants from students in accredited graduate programs in Northern California also are welcomed.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation must be submitted, one of which must be from a person familiar with the applicant’s academic performance.
- Applicant must include a personal statement.
- Documentation of family income must accompany application. Acceptable documents are income tax returns, pay stubs, etc. FAFSA form is required.
- Documentation of estimated school expenses must accompany application. A school acceptance letter or proof of school enrollment must also be provided.
- SAT/ACT results and academic transcript/record must accompany application. (Unofficial transcripts and copies of SAT/ACT scores are acceptable.)
- Application MUST be typed into this PDF from. Please proofread your application prior to submission.
Applications must be submitted by May 31st (postmark deadline)
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications received after postmark will not be reviewed.
Please plan accordingly!