The GraceKennedy Jamaican Birthright Programme is designed to reconnect 2nd and 3rd generation Jamaicans living in the USA, UK and Canada to their proud Jamaican heritage.
OUTLINE OF THE PROGRAMME:
- GraceKennedy will host 4 university students for a one month Internship
- Candidates must be 2nd/3rd generation Jamaicans who have never lived in Jamaica (‘lived’ – not in Jamaica for a period exceeding 6 months)
- Programme will focus on cultural as well as professional education
SYNOPSIS OF PROGRAMME:
The GraceKennedy Jamaican Birthright Programme is a cultural and professional internship geared at highlighting all aspects of Jamaican life while furthering the career goals of the selected candidates. It is a programme that will give successful candidates a well-rounded Jamaican experience.
Selected candidates will work in a GraceKennedy subsidiary linked to their field of study, therefore granting them hands on experience in a wide range of industries. This internship will benefit the candidate in a variety of ways, including practical experience and mentorships. GraceKennedy will provide airfare from major airports, housing, ground transportation and stipend for the selected candidates.
The Cultural Component:
Selected candidates will be taken on a variety of weekend programmes called Heritage Pathways, which will expose them to the Jamaican heritage by immersing them in our historic sites, natural and human resources, and of course, our beaches!
HOW DO STUDENTS APPLY?
- Candidates must complete an application form online
- Along with the application form, the candidate will be required to include:
– A passport sized photograph
– His/her official transcript
– Educational and character references
– Certified copies of his/her birth certificate AND his/her Jamaican parent/grandparent
– An essay: “Jamaica is diverse and culturally rich. How has your Jamaican heritage inspired you and influenced you as a person?”
- Pursuing either an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Grade Point Average of 3.0 or above (i.e. a ‘B’ average or higher)
- Provide proof of Jamaican parentage/grand parentage
- Must be between the ages of 18 to 25 years old
- Demonstrate leadership skills and active involvement in the Diaspora
HOW DO INTERESTED STUDENTS ACCESS THE APPLICATION FORM?
- Students may apply online at www.gracekennedy.com/birthright